Pre Authorized Tax Payments

Looking for a convenient way to pay your taxes? Check out our Pre Authorized Tax Payment options

I'm a new home/property owner and haven't received a tax bill - how do I know the amount of taxes I owe on the property?
If you purchased an existing home, the amount of taxes you are responsible for at the time of closing is shown on the 'Statement of Adjustments' prepared by the lawyers to close the sale/purchase of the property.

It is advisable to contact the Treasury Department to confirm the outstanding amount and due date of the taxes and to verify that our records reflect the new ownership. All outstanding taxes are payable to the City of St. Thomas.

If you purchased a new property and are building a home, refer to the Statement of Adjustments prepared by your lawyer. This statement will indicate the amount of taxes you are responsible for at the time of closing for the land only. On the next scheduled mailing of tax bills, you should receive a bill for the current years taxes on the land only.

When the house is complete and has been assessed, you will receive a supplementary tax bill for the amount of taxes owing for the 'house' portion of the total assessment. It is advisable to plan ahead and budget for this supplementary bill to avoid an unexpected additional expense. We are available to assist you with any property tax related matters you might have while building a new home and can help you estimate the amount of taxes that will be due when your home is complete.

Please note that you should contact the tax office if you have any concern about taxes due subsequent to the closing of your transaction.
I did not receive a tax bill, why are you charging me interest for non-payment?
The Treasury Department takes every reasonable step to ensure that property owners receive a tax bill. In addition, it is the responsibility of the property owner to have knowledge of the amount of the taxes on the property and the due dates of the payments. Please telephone the Treasury Department at (519) 631-1680, extension 4400 if you require any information on your tax account.
I would like to sign up for the monthly pre-authorized payment plan. When can I do this? How can I do this?
The pre-authorized payment plan (PAP) is currently available on tax accounts that do not have a balance owing.

While you may sign up for this monthly payment plan at any time - on a pro-rated basis - the very best time to begin is in May or November.

It is easy to arrange to be on the PAP. A PAP form is available online or at the Treasury Department and bring the form with a cheque marked VOID into our department. See also, the accompanying information 'Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Plan Guidelines'. It is important to cancel the pre-authorized payment at the earliest time following a change in finances or the sale of your property. A cancellation form is also available online or at the Treasury Department in City Hall.
I pay my taxes through my mortgage company and am renewing my mortgage with a different company - what should I do?
If you are changing mortgage companies, renewing your mortgage, taking payments over from your mortgage company or allowing your mortgage company to make payments on your behalf, your mortgage company will make all of the necessary changes with the City of St. Thomas.You may contact the Treasury Department to verify that we have received the new information.

I sold my property last year, but I need to know the amount of taxes that I paid for income tax purposes.
Refer to the Statement of Adjustments that you received from your lawyer when you sold. It should clearly indicate the amount of taxes you paid and will differ from the actual payments you made to the City. A copy of this Statement should be acceptable as a receipt for your income taxes.

I own property in an annexed part of the City - and am unhappy about the increase in taxes on my land. What can I do?
The taxes billed on your property are determined according to the market value assessment of your land.

Market value assessment can take into account the services that you receive such as water, sewage, bus service, garbage collection, police and fire protection etc. To review or appeal the assessment of your property, contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation in London at 1-866-296-6722.